The Thurgood Marshall College Fund, in partnership with the National Basketball Association (NBA), is proud to administer the David J. Stern Scholarship Program, which will provide a talented and enthusiastic student the opportunity to enhance his or her studies at any college or university of his or her choice, including any one of the nation’s 4-year Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).
The recipient will receive a 3-year renewable scholarship at $10,000 per year (for a total not to exceed $30,000). He or she will also have the opportunity to apply to intern at the NBA league office (dependent upon eligibility) as a rising senior and will receive direct mentorship from Commissioner Emeritus David Stern.
- Enrolled full-time at a four-year college or university.
- Open to all majors with an interest in sports.
- Classified as a sophomore as of the Fall 2018 semester.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale and maintains such grade point average in each contract year in which the student receives a scholarship.
- Recipients must meet certain GPA and conduct requirements each academic year to remain eligible for renewal.
- Renewable scholarship is defined as: tuition plus all mandatory fees, room & board factoring in other available non-loan resources.
- The scholarship awarded each year will be determined on the basis of merit.
- Resume (include community service, leadership and employment/internship experience).
- 2018-2019 Student Aid Report (received from filing FAFSA).
- Most recent transcript (unofficial or official transcript that includes GPA).
- A recommendation letter from current school faculty or staff member.
- Essay: in a minimum of 500 words, please address the following:
- Sports teach many important lessons including teamwork, leadership and discipline. How have you embodied these qualities in your academics, on your team (if possible) and in your community?
- Describe what impact this scholarship will have on your education (financial need or otherwise).
- Note: Candidates selected for the next phase of the application process will have to participate in an interview that will be conducted by TMCF.
How to Apply
To apply, click the button below and create a TMCF Account. Once you sign up and create a TMCF Account, you can complete the TMCF | David J. Stern Sports Scholarship Program application. The deadline is June 4, 2018.