The Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) and the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) are proud to offer financial assistance to law school students interested in Intellectual Property Law. The Sidney B. Williams Scholarship is open to students entering or attending law school for the Fall 2019 or 2020. Selected scholars will receive a merit plus need-based scholarship of $10,000 for the academic year, which can be applied to verifiable costs associated with average tuition and usual fees.
Students must meet the following minimum criteria to apply for the scholarship:
- Have a demonstrated commitment to developing a career in intellectual property law.
- Proven academic performance at the undergraduate, graduate and law school levels (if applicable).
- Have a financial need.
- Possess general factors such as leadership skills, community activities or special accomplishments.
- Demonstrate intent to engage in the full-time practice of intellectual property law
- Currently enrolled in or have been accepted to an ABA-accredited law school. Note: The devotion of the law school to intellectual property curricula shall not be considered in awarding scholarships.
To complete the application, please submit the following supporting documents:
- FAFSA form (or similar form).
- Undergraduate, graduate, and law transcripts (if applicable).
- Two letters of recommendation from, but not limited to, former teachers, college administrators, community leaders or other similar persons supporting the academic ability, character, reputation or professional aptitude of the applicant.
- Proof of membership in an underrepresented minority group.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship.
- Applicants resume.
- Applicants must participate in a personal or telephonic interview (if applicable).
- Applicants related to a trustee of AIPLEF, a council member of the ABA-IPL Section, Officer or member of the Board of Directors of the AIPLA, or a member of the AIPLEF Scholarship Committee are ineligible to receive a scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients are required to attend law school, day or evening, on either a full-time or part-time enrollment basis, and to maintain a grade point average of “C” (2.00) or better.
- Scholarship recipients are required to join and maintain membership in AIPLA.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2019, 11:59 PM EST.
How to Apply
To apply, click the button below and create a TMCF Account. Once you sign up and create a TMCF Account, you can complete the TMCF | Sidney B. Williams Jr. Intellectual Property Law Scholarship application if you meet the eligibility requirements. The deadline is March 15, 2019, 11:59 PM EST.