The Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) and the Walmart Foundation are proud to offer financial assistance to outstanding first-year students attending one of the publicly-supported Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and Predominantly Black Institutions (PBIs) within the TMCF 47 member-school network. Selected scholars will receive a one-year scholarship up to $6,200 for the 2019-2020 academic school year which can be used to cover the costs of tuition and fees, on-campus room and board, and required textbooks purchased from member-schools. The scholarship will be disbursed in the fall and spring semesters at $3,100 per semester.
- Be a first-generation college student
- Be a graduating high-school senior
- Be accepted and enrolled as a full-time freshman student at one of TMCF’s 47 member-schools
- Have a high school grade point average of 2.5 or higher
- Be recommended by a high school counselor
- Demonstrate outstanding financial need
- Have demonstrated leadership ability through a variety of measures
- Be a U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident with a valid permanent resident card
Applicants must submit the following documents for consideration:
- 2019-2020 Student Aid Report (received from filing FAFSA)
- Most recent high school transcript (unofficial or official)
- Recommendation letter from your high school counselor (must be completed online by the recommender)
- Essay question: What would it mean to you and your community to be the first person in your family to earn a college degree?
How to Apply
To apply, click the button below to create or log in to your TMCF Account. Once you have signed up or logged in, you can complete the TMCF | Walmart Foundation First-Generation Scholarship application. This application will close on May 26, 2019 (11:59 PM EST).