The Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) and National Basketball Association (NBA) are proud to offer financial assistance to outstanding students attending Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and Predominantly Black Institutions (PBIs). Three (3) scholars will be selected to receive merit and need-based three-year renewable scholarship of $10,000 (not to exceed $30,000) for the 2019-2020 academic year, which can be applied to verifiable costs associated with average tuition and usual fees. Scholarship recipients, in their junior year, will have an opportunity to apply for an internship position at the NBA league office.
- Be enrolled as a full-time student at one of TMCF’s 47 member-schools
- Enrolled as an undergraduate sophomore for the 2019-2020 school year
- Open to all majors with an interest in sports
- Current grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Demonstrate outstanding financial need
- Demonstrate leadership ability through a variety of measures
- Be a U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident with a valid permanent resident card
Applicants must submit the following documents for consideration:
- 2019-2020 Student Aid Report (received from filing FAFSA)
- Most recent college transcript (unofficial or official)
- Recommendation letter from current school professor or faculty member (must be completed online by the recommender)
- Complete the required video required questions:
- Working with the NBA, you must interact successfully with people, clients, upper management, subordinates, etc. in order to make a positive impact. What are two or three key strengths that enable you to deal with people effectively?
- What was the most important thing you learned from your sports management major and or current major? How will you apply what you learned to this scholarship?
- Essay: You are coordinating a large stadium event where you expect 8,000 people to attend. How do you pre-plan for this event and what steps would you implement to ensure this was a successful event for all stakeholders and why?
- Candidates selected for the next phase of the application process will have to participate in an interview conducted by TMCF.
How to Apply
This application is closed.