The Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) in partnership with the United States Department of Agriculture – Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) are proud to offer financial assistance to outstanding students attending one of the 47 public Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) within the TMCF member-school network. The USDA-NRCS program will focus on inclusion, innovation, and investment in the development of academically exemplary students who have demonstrated the leadership ability to contribute to the vision and mission of NRCS.
The TMCF | USDA – NRCS Scholars Program is open to outstanding students with a minimum 3.00 GPA. Selected Scholars will receive up to $15,000 in scholarship funding based on individual financial needs that will be applied to their junior and senior years of study. Each scholar will receive an opportunity to develop key skills and receive support and training for natural resource conservation career preparation.
USDA-NRCS Scholarship Requirements:
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student at one of TMCF’s 47 member schools for the 2017-2018 academic school year.
- Classified as a junior for the 2017-2018 academic year
- Current cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Have demonstrated leadership qualities and community service experience
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident with a valid permanent resident card or passport stamped I-551
- Be recommended by the faculty at your current school
- Majors in a relevant field: agriculture, food sciences, environmental studies, hydrology, veterinary science, human resources, accounting or other related fields
To complete your application, please submit the following supporting documents (at the same time that you are completing the application):
- 2017-2018 Student Aid Report (received from filing FAFSA)
- Most recent transcript (unofficial or official copy)
- Recommendation from Dean of College, Department Head or College Professor (must be completed online)
- Essay: In 500 words or less, please address the following question: Describe your career vision within the resource conservation field. Specify how your academic program and your overall educational plans will assist you in achieving this goal.
How to Apply
To apply, click the button below and create a TMCF Account. Once you sign up and create a TMCF Account, you can complete the TMCF | USDA-NRCS Scholarship Program application. The deadline is June 4, 2017.